There are a variety of energy drinks on the market being consumed by all age groups of people, most notably among teenagers. Energy drinks contain Citric Acid- a preservative that enhances their flavour and shelf life but also happens to be very good at dissolving the enamel on the tooth surface.
Because enamel cannot be regrown after it is damaged the effects are irreparable. The loss in enamel makes the teeth sensitive to hot and cold temperatures, prone to decay and unsightly. Most energy drinks contain sugar as well as Citric Acid which enhances the damage to natural tooth structure by reducing the pH of the saliva further.
Try to avoid frequent consumption of energy drinks if possible. When you do consume these types of drinks we recommend you rinse your mouth out with water (or drink plenty of water) immediately afterwards to prevent the acid from sitting around your teeth for long periods of time. Chewing sugar-free gum will also help reduce the acid around the mouth.